A new Porsche-Toyota duel in the LM P1 class after Audi's retirement, new technical LM P2 regulations, Porsche's official return to LM GTE Pro...the new year 2017 in endurance racing is already posing many questions, many of which will be answered at the press conference for the 85th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans which will take place on Thursday, February 2nd. Here are 12 more of those questions, this time focused on the LM GTE classes and other surprises in store.
- After Brad Pitt in 2016, who will give the start at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2017?
- Record-holder for participations and for fastest pole position in the history of the Formula 1, will Brazilian driver Rubens Barrichello be at the start of the 2017 24 Hours of Le Mans?
- After the New Zealander Scott Dixon, third in the LM GTE Pro class in 2016 with Ford, will we be seeing other former winners of the Indianapolis 500, the oldest circuit race in the world, at the start of the 85th edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans?
- Who will be the 2017 world champions?
- Who will be the young chosen ones from the Rookie Test of the 2017 World Endurance Championship (WEC)?
- Who will succeed G-Drive Racing as LM P2 winner in the European Le Mans Series?
- How will the new Porsche 911 RSR perform in the LM GTE Pro class?
- In the LM GTE Pro class, will the hierarchy be as balanced in 2017 between Porsche, Ferrari, Ford and Aston Martin as it was in 2016 between the last three named (three victories each across nine races)?
- Will Ford succeed in clinching a second consecutive win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the LM GTE Pro class, repeating a half century later the exploit of 1966 and 1967 overall?
- Winner in the LM GTE Pro class in 2016 with Ford, will Le Mans native Sébastien Bourdais once again be at the start of his home race in 2017 ?
- In 2017, what will the hierarchy of the LM GTE Am class be in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) after Emmanuel Collard and François Perrodo (winners in 2016) leave for LM P2?
- How many new teams from the Asian Le Mans Series will take on the adventure of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the World Endurance Championship (WEC) and/or the European Le Mans Series in 2017?
Click below for the first installment of this series: